Aging is an inevitable aspect of life. Our body is made up of cells formed into structures, and these cells slowly deteriorate with time. There are more than hundreds of theories on why we age, but today we are here to cover the solution to the problem i.e. how to age gracefully.
These are some healthy steps one can take to make growing old still feel healthy and alive:
- Exercising is necessary for the body as it helps the body to get going. Being regular on it lowers a lot of health risks including cancer and heart disease.
Sports or exercising helps release dopamine in the body, boosting our mental health. This results in an overall healthy mental state.
- Exercise at least 4 days a week.
- Include muscle training as it helps the body retain its form in the long run.
- Want to age like a fine wine? You may have heard that “You are what you eat”, it is dramatically true as food acts as a fuel for your body. Healthier foods help you be energetic, while junk makes you lethargic, adding unhealthy fat to the body.
It is highly recommended to eat more of:
- Lean protein: Plain Greek yogurt, tofu, fish, and beans are all great sources of lean protein.
- Healthy fats: Whole eggs, dark chocolate, nuts, chia seeds, avocados, cheese.
- Fruits & green vegetables
- Include whole-grain cereals, oats, and rice.
- Switch to dairy products that are low in fat.
Know the difference between healthy and unhealthy fats, and consider removing refined sugar and processed foods from your life permanently.
- Skin is the largest and the most visible organ of the human body. Treating it with care is vital as it helps us feel, protects the inner body, as well as helps us to sense the world around us.
- Water is the most important tool here. Stay hydrated, and drink plenty of water every day.
- Go for a full-body check-up at least once a year, including skin cancer screenings.
- Use the products which are meant for your particular skin type – dry, normal, or oily.
- Sunscreen is a must when heading out in the scorching heat!
- Stress management is a needed skill.
Stress can be dreadful to the body. The ill-effects of it are countless and can affect drastically how old you look. It also increases the risk of heart diseases.
To help your stress:
- Socialize. Talk it out to your friends and family.
- Sleep rightfully. Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep every night.
- Include meditation, breathing exercises, or yoga into your daily lifestyle.
- Good sleep is just as important!
- Improves concentration
- Lowers stress levels
- Lowers the risk of obesity
- Lesser risks of heart disease and strokes